lunes, 18 de diciembre de 2017

A letter of complaint

Introduction

First paragraph = state your complaint, including details of what has happened and where/when the incident took place.

      Mild
     I am writing in connection with.../to complain about...the terrible 
     behaviour/attitude/rudeness of...
     I am writing to draw your attention to...which...

      Strong
     I wish to bring to your attention a problem which arose due to your
     staff/inefficiency...
     I am writing to express my strong dissatisfaction/unhappines at...
     I wish to express my dissatisfaction/unhappines with the 
     product/treatment I received from (your staff) on (September 22nd)

Main body

Second, third and fourth paragraph = present each of the specific points you are complaining about. You start a new paragraph for each point and justify theses points by giving examples and reasons.

Closing remarks

Last paragraph = explain what you expect to happen (to be given a refund/replacement/apology/etc)

      Mild
     I hope you will replace... 
     I feel/believe that I am entitled to a replacement/refund...
     I hope that this matter can be resolved/dealt with promptly.

      Strong
     I insist on/I demand a full refund/an immediate replacement or I shall be
     forced to take legal action/the matter further.
     I hope that I will not be forced to take further action. 



Example: You recently hired a car for a part of your holidays. However, there were several problems with the arrangements. Write a letter of complaint to the manager/manageress explaining the problems and requesting compensation.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the service I received when I rented one of your cars on 20th July.

Firstly, I had specially requested a four-door model. However, I was given a smaller two-door version which, apart from being too small for my needs, was clearly in need of extensive repair. Despite my objections, your employees informed me that it was the only car available and assured me that it was in perfect order. Having no other alternative, so I accepted the vehicle.

Contrary to what I had been told, there were, in fact, several things wrong with the car. Despite the fact that I had driven it for only one hour, I was forced to stop when the engine showed signs of overheating. Having added two litres of water to the radiator, I was able to continue, although during the course of my journey a knocking sound from the engine became increasingly persistent and the windscreen wipers stopped working.

My subsequent journey was most uncomfortable. Not only did I have the worry of driving a car which was not roadworthy, but I also had to stop on three occasions to refill the radiator. Finally, I had no choice but to leave the car at your Oxford branch and continue my journey using public transport.

I feel that your employees acted irresponsibly in issuing a car which was not safe to drive, and I believe I am entitled to compensation for the interruption to my holiday. I therefore request that you send me the sum of 200€ to cover the cost of my train ticket and compensate me after the distress I was forced to suffer as a result of your neglicence.

I insist that you give this matter your urgent attention, otherwise I will be forced to take legal action.

Yours faithfully,
Mr S. Mallison



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario